The Pacific Parkinson’s Research Centre is a multidisciplinary program located at the Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health, UBC Hospital. The Centre is dedicated to the diagnosis and management of Parkinson’s and other related disorders, such as tremor and dystonia, and has been designated as a Centre of Excellence by the Parkinson’s Foundation in the US.
In addition to treatment of patients, we conduct a strong research program that spans preclinical, clinical and population studies. Under the direction of Dr. McKeown, an internationally recognized expert on Parkinson’s disease, the centre has the largest peer-reviewed research program in Canada on Parkinson’s disease.
The staff at the Centre is composed of academic movement disorder neurologists, nurse coordinators, research coordinators, and social workers. With this team in place, it is possible for patients and family members to see one or more members of the team when they come for their clinic visit. The Centre thus serves as the major referral Centre for Parkinson’s within the province of British Columbia.
Dr. M. J. McKeown (Director)
Dr. A. J. Stoessl
Dr. J. Tsui
Dr. S. Cresswell
Dr. J. Valerio
Dr. J. Squires
Skyla Burden and Brandy Lachmann
- Provides counseling and continuity of care to patients and their caregivers. Facilitates educational opportunities for professionals, patients and caregivers.
- Performs assessments, counseling, and care planning for both patients and caregivers. Offers invaluable links to a variety of community resources. Facilitates educational opportunities for professionals, patients and caregivers.
PET Imaging Program Coordinator:
Jessamyn McKenzie and Nicole Neilson
- Coordinates research utilizing Positron Emission Tomography. Completes protocols and ethical applications, recruits and screens suitable research subjects, explains studies to patients, and monitors them throughout the study to ensure safety.
MRI Imaging and Electrophysiology Program Coordinator:
- Coordinates research utilizing Magnetic Resonance Imaging and electrophysiology including electroencephalography (EEG) and non- invasive brain stimulation.
Clinical Research Coordinator
- Coordinates clinical research into the neuropsychiatric, cognitive, and behavioural symptoms of Parkinson’s disease (PD). Coordinates research into the potential role of the gut microbiota in PD through collaborations with microbiologists and immunologists.
Research Scientist – Positron Emission Tomography and Brain Imaging
Dr. Vesna Sossi
Research Scientist – Neurogenetics and Translational Neuroscience
Dr. Matt Farrer
For general inquiries, please contact our Administrator:
M36, Purdy Pavilion
University Hospital, UBC Site
2221 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver, British Columbia
V6T 2B5 Canada